Date(s) - 23 Mar 2013 until 23 Mar 2013
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Show your support for the Palestinian struggle for water justice
Join us outside Ecostream, Western Road, Brighton
Saturday 23rd March 2013 1.00 – 3.00pm
Did you know that:
- settlers in Israel’s illegal settlements consume 6 times more water (per person per day) than the average Palestinian in the West Bank?
- settlers in Israel’s illegal settlements consume 20 times more water than Palestinians living in Area C?
- the Ecostream shop in Brighton is owned by Israeli Company, Sodasteam?
- all of Sodastream’s manufactured goods are made in the illegal Israeli settlement of Mishor Adumim?
Palestinians are thirsting for Justice
Join our ‘Teach In’ outside the Ecostream shop
We’ll bring along all the materials needed to give an accurate portrayal of the challenges faced by Palestinians living under Israeli occupation in their daily lives, when trying to access clean water.
We’ll aim to promote discussion on Palestinian water rights, and why we’re boycotting Ecostream.
Here’s a bit of background info to get you thinking
Average daily water consumption in the occupied West Bank:
- Palestinians: 70 litres/person/day
- Israeli settlers: 400 litres/person/day
- Palestinians living near Sodastream’s factory: 20 – 30 litres/person/day
- World Health Organisation recommended minimum: 100 litres/person/day
Israel has illegally occupied the West Bank since 1967. It has taken control of 80% of all the fresh water, leaving Palestinians access to just 20% of the Mountain Aquifer underneath the West Bank.
As a result, Palestinians in the West Bank are forced to purchase over half of their water from the Israeli water company, Mekarot.
Water shortages are common in the towns, cities and villages of the West Bank, especially during the summer months, when Israel rations water to Palestinian communities. An estimated 313,000 people are not connected to a water network and have to collect their water on foot, or using tractors.
In contrast, Israeli settlements, illegal under international law, have unrestricted access to water, well-watered lawns and swimming pools.
Palestinian communities in rural areas, such as those near Soda Steam’s factory, are systematically denied access to water: they are prevented from digging wells, using water from natural springs, pumping water from streams, and collecting rainwater that runs off the mountains.
Between 2009 and 2011 the Israeli military destroyed 173 water, sanitation and hygiene structures in the West Bank including:
- 57 rainwater collection cisterns.
- 40 wells supplying communities with water.
- irrigation equipment vital for food production
- at least 20 toilets and sinks
This destruction continues, as does the regular confiscation of water pumps and portable water tanks.
In Gaza that situation is far worse. The water and sanitation infrastructure has been damaged or destroyed in Israeli military attacks on Gaza. As a result of Israel’s blockade of Gaza, the materials needed to repair and rehabilitate Gaza’s dilapidated water and sanitation infrastructure are not allowed through the crossings.
Ecostream, settlement companies and Palestinian water rights
A 2012 fact-finding mission of the United Nations Human Rights Council found that:
“…business enterprises have enabled, facilitated and profited, directly and indirectly, from the construction and growth of the settlements… (This includes) the use of natural resources, in particular water and land, for business purposes;…”
Through the deliberate target of water and sanitation infrastructure, Israel has also violated Article 53 of the IVth Geneva Convention:
“Any destruction by the occupying power of real or personal property belonging individually or collectively to private persons, or to the State, or to other public authorities, or to social or cooperative organizations, is prohibited, except where such destruction is rendered absolutely necessary by military operations.”
Find out more information about our Ecostream campaign
For more information about Palestinian water rights see www.thirstingforjustice.org