ETHNIC CLEANSING IS NOT GREEN
- Sodastream’s healthy modern eco-image is meant to disguise the fact that it has set up its factory on land confiscated from Palestinians. The Israeli government gives them tax breaks and legal support to work there. For its part the company uses the Made in Israel label to hide the fact that the products are actually made in illegally occupied territory.
- Palestinian workers often have no choice but to work in the Israeli colonies, in a situation of high unemployment rates that are a direct result of the Israeli occupation.
- A 2011 United Nations report states that Israeli government policies are destroying Palestinian agriculture and industry by confiscating land and natural resources, restricting the movement of people and goods and isolating them from international markets. To boast that Sodastream are giving employment to people when they have had their land and freedom stolen, can only be considered immoral.
- Sodastream’s factory is in a settlement industrial zone which is expanding and taking over Bedouin land. The Bedouins themselves, the native people of Palestine, are being forcibly relocated into ‘ghettos’ by a rubbish dump in East Jerusalem.
- Sodastream itself recognises the dangers of negative publicity and a boycott of its product but prefers to stay in the occupied territory and enjoy the favourable tax breaks and economic incentives.
- It is up to us to show them the price of their illegal and immoral activity.
For further information read the Sodastream report online.